Sunday, July 09, 2006

Uniqua is her name

You may be familiar with a post I did a few weeks earlier about kids TV. You can find it here to refresh your memory.

Anyway, one of the programs I really enjoy watching with Leah is The Backyardigans. The one thing that bugged me is the fact that I couldn't ever figure out what type of animal Uniqua represented (second from the right in pink). She is pink and has swirly antenna on her head. The other characters are very obviously a moose, hippo, penguin and kangaroo.


This evening Joe was watching a Backyardigans DVD with Leah and I asked him what he thought she might be. He guessed a snail (HA HA HA).

In further researching an answer on the trusty old internet, I found this:

Uniqua is her name and her species. She’s graceful, agile, and as light on her feet as a ballerina. But when it comes to playing, she’s more “adventure” than “ballet.” Unafraid and daring, Uniqua loves to run, climb, and ride her bike faster than anyone. She also loves to tell silly jokes, make silly noises, and tickle her friends. Yes, Uniqua is mischievous, but she’s also sweet – she knows whether her friends are happy or sad, and she’ll always say something to show that she cares.BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

So she isn't even an animal! What a total cop-out. What, the producers couldn't come up with just one more animal for the show? You know, all the millions of other mammals in the world just didn't cut it?

I'm not quite sure why this pisses me off, but maybe it has to do with all the precious brain cells I wasted on trying to figure it out.

On another note, a friend of mine just started a blog called The Collin Chronicles: Tales of a Tiny Tyrant. Please stop by and show her some love.

13 comments:

Ann said...

I don't know about you, but looking at their picture kinda scares me. What happened to the good ole kid show with characters we recognized.

C's Mom said...

Hmmm...I thought maybe she was a pig with weird ears!

JerseyGirl said...

Hi Stephanie!

Thanks for mentioning my new blog! I got such a kick out of reading yours (Chau told me about it), I wanted to give my own a shot. I'll probably be e-mailing you some questions!
Maureen

Kristin said...

This has nothing to do with your post but I thought you might like it!

http://www.theharrypotterquiz.com/

MrsFortune said...

Wow, you are so right, that IS a total cop out. But, um, I have to disagree when you list what the other animals "very obviously" are. Cuz I couldn't have figured that out. :-)

Michelle said...

I love that show! And no, I don't have any children in my home as of yet. But I've watched it with my niece and nephew, and have been known to watch it myself when I am home alone. O.K., so I'm wierd!

Juliet said...

All I thought was "was does she get to be the special animal?" heh

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves the Backyardigans and I think that the fact that they made her so wonderfully unique was a very smart idea. We encounter so many unique people in our lives. It was a great idea. The creator of this show is a genius.

Anonymous said...

I too wondered about uniqua. I like the snail comment BUT I think the object is that she is a different, unexplainable character, Hence the name, Uniqua. So my little one just says she is a backyardigan and leaves it at that.

Anonymous said...

There was a website that said "Uniqua is her name, and also her species – with her purple skin, pink spots, and dainty antennae, she doesn't look like any other creature on the planet." It bothered me too. My relatives guessed a slug, alien, bug, and a weird looking pig. It was awful finding out that she was a Uniqua.... thats stupid. I wasted a lot of time on this too.

Anonymous said...

I am watching this right now and I was trying figue out what the hell she is t thought she was a pig

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I've been searching the Internet for weeks now trying to figure out what flippin' animal she is! It's been driving me nuts. My daughter said "she's probably not an animal - just "unique"" and I wouldn't accept that.. guess I owe her an apology.
You're not the only Mom it drove nuts!!

Anonymous said...

My grandson is 15 months and loves the show! The "Fly Girl" is his favorite so at this stage it really does not matter what Uniqua is. We are all "unique" in our own way...Just enjoy the show, it's great!